Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Motorcycle Accident

My motorcycle accident 9-10-11

Dear Asphalt .....

Seriously though ... yesterday Tony and I set out on the bikes to the yearly company party in Mattapoisett.  IT was such a beautiful day!  Should I ride all that way?  I had gotten my license last year and had been on the highway once or twice now.  Gone fast, merged ... the whole thing.  But this was like an hour away.  At least 50 minutes on the highway ... going onto 195 ... over a bridge, through a tunnel ( I don't like either ... even in a car).  Should I just ride as a passenger on Tony's bike? ... Nope ... Here we go.
So we do all that ... SO proud of myself for all the bridge thing, the tunnel, riding over messed up grooved roads, merging, slowing down ... paying attention.  Fifty minutes ... getting off the highway ... Mattapoisett, almost there YAY!
Downshifting ... face kinda tingling from 50 minutes of highway air on my face.  Tony had given me the "rock on" fingers cause I had done a good job.  Then on Rt 6 ... Tony slows down ... what? ... Didn't see him slow ... didn't feel him slow down.  Now he is RIGHT THERE!  I swerved and hit the right saddlebag ... bounce right, I pulled the handlebars to try to stabilize.  Tony is now pulled off to the side.  I realize I am in the "death wobble" and ... relinquish control of the bike.  I hit the pavement going about 25-30 mph.  I see the bike slide ahead of me.  Feel my back hit the ground.  I tumbled and then slid on the asphalt about another 30ft.  After all, was said and done.  I was sitting upright, on the solid yellow lines in the middle of a four-lane road ... rt 6 in Mass.  I see oncoming traffic.  Hear cars behind me.  See Tony approaching me ... telling me to sit still.  I realize my helmet is on.  I can feel my legs.  My arms and feet are burning like they are on fire.  I am sitting.  Then a woman comes to the right of me.  Traffic all stops around me.  I hear people talking to me ... "what's your name" "what day is it"  "where are you"  Now I realize it is NOT a dream.  Tony is in front of me answering questions.  "no she did not get hit"  "no a car did not hit her"  "no she hit me in the rear"  "Yes ... I am her husband"  My back ... I cannot breathe at all ... the pain ... OMG ... is my skin on fire?
Then LOTS of questions.  From me "where's Tony"  "Why is my foot burning"  "Did I ruin the bikes?"  Then " I am so sorry ... I am so sorry Tony!" "where's my iPad2" YES people ... I asked for my iPad2 ... which was IN the saddlebag I had hit and I just realized I just had it only a week and it was in the saddlebag I hit with my motorcycle.  Okay, that brought a lightened moment.
But then back to business.  NECK BRACE< head strapped to a backboard and then taped (cause I was being fiesty"  Oh man ... now in the ambulance.  Damn bumpy ride.  Off to St. Luke's in New Bedford Massachusetts.  Oh crap, there goes medical!  All kinds of questions ... answered them all nice and clear.  Now I am shaking and crying because it hurts SO SO SO bad.  The EMT is pointing out all my wounds cause I cannot move.  Where's Tony?  I find out that his bike is pretty much okay and he is riding it to the hospital while my bike gets picked up off the road by a friend.  What?  How is that possible?
At the hospital.  Alone for just a bit.  Diane shows up ... my little angel! Then Tony after her.  I was SO embarrassed.  So stupid, I felt SO stupid.  Did I have a brain fart or something?  Why didn't I feel him slow down ... was there a brake light and I didn't see it?  Why was I not paying attention?  Was I too close?  Now I am just another STUPID girl on a motorcycle.  A stupid broad who should have not been riding a motorcycle.

But then a good friend told me ... You were doing something you enjoyed and loved.  Things happen and don't let anyone tell you otherwise ... you deserve to do things that make you happy. 
LOVE YOU DIANE!

Okay okay, so she is right ... she is you know!
I ended up with some pretty ugly meaty road rash mostly all along my left side.  Left wrist, forearm, little on the knee, top of foot REAL bad.  Broken rib in the back.  Nicks and cuts around fingers, hands.

NO head trauma, NO neck injury, NO face or teeth trauma. 

Pretty damn lucky ... pretty damn blessed. 
I don't want to think of the could haves ... because ALL the could haves are scary. 
I just know that I am here.  I am safe.  Superficial wounds.  Hurting HELL yes but I am feeling the pain and it reminds me ... I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment