Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Love affair? ... Denial ... (Isn't that a river in Africa?)

Overall I am super happy about choosing the surgery.  I tend to think my journey is fairly unique as food didn't have a grip over me.  I bet a lot of people say that and sometimes I sit and analyze "Am I just in denial?"  Most people will say well if you reached a point where you were obese ... that means food had a grip over you.  I actually do LOVE food but didn't like to EAT.  I usually only ate when I was hungry.  I had the occasional times where I was like HUNGRY but most of the time I was forgetting to eat.  I had stopped eating fast food about 2-3 years ago and before surgery it was over a year since I had eaten at McDonalds, Wendys or Burger King.  I had noticed the older I had gotten the more these foods did NOT agree with my system and went right through me and cause me serious gastric distress.  I would occasionally get a hard taco at Taco Bell (one of the fam's fav places to stop) but always preferred my own tacos.  We ordered pizza about once a week and I would have a few slices.  Maybe 3?  I was skipping meals, not being active and sleeping a lot.  I had issues with depression but a lot of my issues with that was about money and things I wanted and could not have to make things nicer for my family.  I also have a special needs son with Asperger's Disorder and that has a HUGE impact on how I feel as a mom and that gets me down a lot!  I always feel guilty and sad like I am not doing right by him.  When I became sad, I slept.  When I was happy, I gardened.  When I was depressed, I slept.  When I was celebrateing ... I would spend money I didn't have! LOL! ... I don't think it was ever about food.  

Skipping meals and just generally forgetting to eat and sleeping so much ...  I think THIS attributed a LOT to my weight gain over the years not necessarily food habits.  EATING habits were my issue.   I needed to eat MORE and make better choices but over all the choices for my family were not too bad.  So about a year ago I started making a LOT of changes and I got more serious about September when even making some changes things were not really changing.  I started making sure I always, always ate breakfast.  I made sure I did not skip meals.  I NEVER went back for seconds except for once a week I allowed myself to and one thing I wanted to eat that was a no-no.  I lost 25lbs. pretty quick.  Then I got the letter from the insurance company saying I was approved for surgery.
It was on now.  But that didn't mean I began to slip up.  I found this to be an opportunity to really determine whether I had a "love affair" with food.
I honestly don't think I did. 
This journey was never about being thin.  It was and is always bout being healthy.

I was actually not super unhappy about the way I felt or looked.  This may seem strange to some but I didn't have a lot of issues like I read or hear.

I could tie my shoes and paint my toe nails.  I could fit into a booth at a restaurant comfortably.  I could fit on a plane and in the theater seats.  I could bend, squat, jump and heaven forbid if I had to ... run!
I could garden, walk the dogs for miles, felt pretty damn good in a swimsuit.

I am writing this blog because you don't see many blogs saying that stuff.  I feel my story is different than the typical ones out there on this journey and I want to maybe have someone else feel like they are not the only ones.  Cause right now ... I feel like the only one.

I am SO happy for those who have had the surgery because they felt miserable in their skin AND had healthy problems!  I am SO inspired by them.  But I don't FEEL like I am/was like them.  
I am a super confident person.  I am pretty outgoing (except for my winter blues ugh!) most of the time and I like to think people think I am funny, honest, caring and giving.  I don't have issues with going out and doing things.  Sometimes I have issues with crowds but that has to so with some of my sensory issues like smell and just generally feeling closed in.  But if I am at an outside party ... LET ME LOOSE! LOL!

So I wonder if there are others who feel the same way I do?  I wonder how unique my journey really is?

Well anyway ... here are some of my recent pictures.  I should have taken the plaid shirt off so you could see more.  I think the biggest difference is in the side view.  I have never been a photogenic person ... I am SO much more gorgeous in real life! LOL!
  More will be posted this upcoming Thursday which will be my ONE MONTH surgiversary!

I love you all!
Kisses!




4 comments:

  1. OMG....you look better in my clothes than I ever did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good Tami! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI BML - Visiting your blog after you recently commented on mine. I have read every one of your posts to this point (so far), but had to stop and comment on this one. I, too, have multiple dogs and chickens. I, too, have a child with Asperger's. I am loving your blog!

    Thanks so much for sharing it with me.
    Anonymous Fat Lady

    ReplyDelete